Tomales Point: Where the Elk Roam

May 11, 2016

Since my current home base is in the Bay Area, I've started branching out to areas that are good for day trips and Point Reyes is nothing short of amazing. I've been to Bear Valley and wanted to make a second trip to Tomales Point. Even if you're not a hiker, the drive in the area is beautiful - that is when it's not foggy or cloudy.

There is no signal out at Tomales Point, simply follow Pierce Point Road until you see a parking lot over by some white buildings, which is the former Pierce Point Ranch. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the ranch, though there are sign placards detailing the history of the dairy ranch that was established in 1858, serving milk and dairy products to the local area, including San Francisco. When I arrived, a construction crew was remodeling the largest building, and I can imagine people having weddings or photoshoots there for those who like the traditional and rustic barn feel.

In the beginning, the trail is relatively flat and a somewhat sandy trail that closely follows the coastline. The main purpose of choosing the trail was for the elk. I had heard of these elk and wasn't sure how elusive they were and discovered, to my surprise, that there were a couple at the beginning of the trailhead (not pictured as they were far away).


In some of my research post-hike, I discovered that there's something called Windy Gap, where people have seen the elk. I actually have no idea where this gap is, and didn't see elk for awhile. Since they are mobile, they of course won't be in the same spot every day. Though, the chance of seeing them is high, since the elk live separately. The males hang out in one herd, while females and calves are together until they meet up during mating season.

As I rounded a corner, I looked up and saw this momma and its calf staring right at me. There were other females and their calves nearby as well. Giddy with excitement, I started taking photos and after a moment, the elk figured that I posed no threat and went back to grazing. Sometimes I worry about the trust that park rangers have in hikers. For the most part, seasoned hikers are cautious and don't approach the elk (or wild animals in general) as animals can charge, defend, or attack (or a combination) if they feel threatened. Also, there's no barrier or gate between the hiker and the animal and I don't believe there should be as animals have the right to claim this land as theirs and we are the visitors. So... please be smart and don't approach them and please don't litter as this is their home. (End mini PSA)



I thought this bird was a bit hilarious, cawing at me from its perch on top of a rock.


After a short while, I see the bull elk, and yes, they are casually grazing and lazing around. With their long antlers, full-frontal "I'm-not-afraid-of-you" stance, there's no denying their power and pride that they carry. 










Just beyond the reservoir is a resting area where I found several people eating lunch. This is also a good turn-around point for people not interested in heading to Tomales Point. Word of warning that after the sign, the trail is more sandy and there are some tall and spiky shrubs.



The trail climbs uphill for a bit, and then bam! Tomales Point reveals itself, flanked by water on three sides and beautiful ocean blues that makes it a perfect lunch spot, meditating spot, relaxing spot, or whatever you fancy. I would love it if there was a bench or gazebo here to sit and eat lunch, though the elk might not like it. ;)







This is a point and back trip, so retrace your steps and take an extra stop to check out the elk again!

And don't forget to look outwards too, where I spotted this magnificent view of Tomales Bay.



Point Reyes National Seashore: Tomales Point
Start: Pierce Point Road parking lot at Pierce Point Ranch
Duration: 4-5 hours 
Difficulty: moderate - length, flat in the beginning, rolling hills, and sandy trail
Length: 9.5 miles RT
Danger: some high winds and no railing at Tomales Point, some sharp shrubs
Exposure: full exposure
Crowd factor: moderately low

(hike completed in September 2015)


Happy travels!
Cat

You Might Also Like

0 comments