Southwest Road Trip: Day 6: Capitol Reef National Park - Goosenecks Overlook

August 04, 2015

We awoke fresh and energized, ready for our jampacked day to Canyonlands and Arches. Before finishing up the last leg or so, we decided to check out a couple short stops to take in a little more of Capitol Reef.


First stop: Goosenecks Overlook

It was ultra windy, but the trek to the overlook was definitely worth it. I learned that the views I was looking at was 300 million years old! And dinosaurs used to roam the land I was standing on! That part always amazes me that the river below used to flow much higher. 

I don't remember all the types of time 'periods' that each of the layers represent, though they are very visible!





Goosnecks Overlook (out-and-back)
Start: from parking lot
Duration: 20 minutes (includes viewing and photography time)
Difficulty: easy
Length: 0.5 miles
Danger: possible high winds and steep drop at the overlook

Happy travels!
Cat

You Might Also Like

0 comments