Southwest Road Trip: Day 6: Arches National Park - Delicate Arch

August 08, 2015

Hut hut hut! After visiting Landscape Arch, we jumped in the car to visit Delicate Arch before sunset. We knew that the hike was 'strenuous' for several miles, and we had to make it before sunset so we could catch the ephemeral glow. Unfortunately, I don't have many photos of the hike up to the arch, so you'll have to count on my recount of the hike: The trail begins with some a view of the home that a former pioneer lived in, crossing over a bridge, before setting on the gentle switchbacks. Then, cross the slick rock up before navigating some sandy portions. The hike continues along the side of a rock face before opening up to Delicate Arch. The Arch isn't visible until the very end.

The hike to Delicate Arch is an ultra popular hike with many people carrying their big bulky cameras, gear, and tripods. I would equate it similarly to Zion's Angel Landing in terms of hiker volume. If you're not fit or haven't exercised or lightly exercised or are not used to hiking or going for long distances, you can do this hike, but you'll find yourself out of breath frequently and exhausted. Bring extra water!! Who goes on a strenuous hike with one bottle of water? Do not be fooled by the distance, because this hike is fully exposed with no shade until the sun begins to set. It also crosses slick rock (think walking on one of those treadmills with a steep incline, but sideways with little traction). There are no support poles to grab onto and if you've got the patience and will, the view is most certainly worth it. For those who do not want to attempt the hike, there is a road that leads to a viewpoint. I'm not sure what the view is like from there...

Personal experience: we had been hiking all week, so we thought it was a breeze, but at the rate that we were hiking at, I became tired at the slick rock area and from the heat. My friend was pumped because she was so excited to see it so she went ahead of me.

WE MADE IT! The funny thing about Delicate Arch is that there's tons of people there taking pictures under the arch and people surrounding the arch. Then at the edge of the bowl (or depression) stand all the photographers. The whole area surrounding the arch is so wonderful. Check out the third picture and try to find the 4 people taking pictures of Delicate Arch from a different vantage point. I always wonder how people who first explored the area find exciting sights like Delicate Arch.


Once sunset comes around, people move away from underneath the arch. Then we heard clapping... what? Then a tourist pops in to sneak in a picture while they stand underneath the arch. "GET OUT OF THE WAY!!" yells a photographer. Then, the shocked tourists move out and everybody claps again. Oh! People are clapping because there's nobody standing under the arch so everyone can get that prime shot!

Well, here's mine :)

When we were satisfied filling our cups to the brim of the gorgeous view, we trekked back to the trailhead, and I was so focused on getting back that I forgot to look up. And when I did, I saw this magnificent sunset. Ah, what a grand end to the day.


We headed to Devil's Garden Campground to set up our tent. My friend was exhausted so she went to sleep first. I read that Arches is a great spot to catch the night sky so I stayed up as long as I could. I was testing out my skills (read: none) to take some night shots with my camera propped on the car, when I saw a movement out of the corner out of my eye. I have no idea what it was to this day and for all I know, it was a mountain lion who smelled our food and was steadily walking towards me. Ugh! I hastily jumped into the car and slammed the car door shut, which might have scared it off. Then, some mule deer came to visit (I know it's deer for sure because I shined the light on them). Okay, I can deal with deer while taking my shot =.=

I'm working on becoming better at night photography, so I present to you the only one of that night.

Delicate Arch Trail
Start: Wolfe Ranch parking lot (some lot parking with side parking when lots are full)
Duration: 2 - 3 hours
Difficulty: strenuous
Length: 3 miles RT
Exposure: full sun
Danger: hot temperature, slick (slippery) rock, and high, brisk and chilly wind at the arch

Happy travels!
Cat

You Might Also Like

0 comments